The Ez Bar Upright Row is a barbell exercise that builds stronger and bigger traps, rhomboids, Biceps and rear deltoids.
Many people don’t do upper back exercises because they’re hard to train, and you can’t see them without a mirror.
As always, neglecting certain muscles is a mistake. A well-developed upper back will help you perform a variety of lifts better, including squats, deadlifts, and presses.
It’s an excellent way to build trap muscle, but it’s also easy to get wrong. Usually, this will just mean that you don’t get the muscle-building benefits of the move. The wrong technique can cause your shoulders to hurt and make you more likely to get injured.
You shouldn’t be afraid to add the Ez Bar Upright Row to your routine. There are a few things you need to watch out for to make sure you do EZ bar upright row exercises safely and effectively.
Want to take your gains to the next level? Discover your daily calorie needs with our free TDEE calculator
- Ez Bar Upright Row Muscles Worked
- How To Do Upright Row With EZ Bar
- Ez Bar Upright Row Form
- 1. Make sure your hands aren’t too close together
- 2. You’re lifting too much weight
- 3. Don’t pull the bar too high
- 4. Brace your core and keep your torso upright
- 5. Don’t roll shoulder forward
- Benefits of an Ez Bar Upright Row
- 1. Muscle strength & growth
- 2. Stability & conditioning
- 3. Builds Traps
- 4. Arm power
- 5. Improve your posture
- 18 Best Exercises To Build Bigger Traps
Ez Bar Upright Row Muscles Worked
A real upper body powerhouse, the Ez bar upright row mainly targets your deltoid and your traps. Some of the body’s most integral muscle groups, including:
- Shoulders: Working on the deltoids, rhomboids, and trapezius muscles, the upright row is perfect for building strength, muscle, and stability in the shoulder and upper back region.
- Rhomboids: Upper back muscles that connect the shoulder blades and offer a great deal of support, working on your rhomboids will improve your posture.
- Biceps: As major arm muscles, building your biceps will significantly enhance your upper body strength as well as general upper body resilience.
How To Do Upright Row With EZ Bar
The ez upright row is typically performed by holding an EZ curl bar in front of you with a narrow, overhand grip and pulling it straight up to neck height, elbows leading the way and pointed up.
Working the Front delts and Traps, take a grip slightly narrower than your waist. An EZ Bar is ideal for this exercise because it has less impact on your wrists.
- Hold an Ez barbell with an overhand grip and stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Your grip on the Ez barbell should be narrower than shoulder-width apart. Let it hang in front of you.
- While keeping your Ez barbell close to your body, lift the bar and get it up to chest height using your arms.
- Allow your shoulder blades to move naturally with your shoulder joints. Pause at the top of the movement.
- Now, lower the bar under controlled motion until it comes back to its starting position.
- Repeat the upright row for your desired number of repetitions.
To Stay Motivated: 150+ Gym Workout Motivational Quotes To Stay Fit
Ez Bar Upright Row Form
1. Make sure your hands aren’t too close together
Placing your hands too close together can increase the amount of ulnar deviation. Moving your grip width to be slightly wider can prevent a wrist injury when you lift.
2. You’re lifting too much weight
If your weight is too heavy, the movement will require momentum. Heavy lifting will take the focus away from the shoulders or, even worse, put too much stress on them.
3. Don’t pull the bar too high
Pulling the weight too high can increase the likelihood of an impingement injury at the shoulder. If you keep your elbow height the same as your shoulders, you won’t cause an injury.
4. Brace your core and keep your torso upright
Keeping the core strong and stable while lifting will help with bracing and protect the spine. This will help stop you from swinging the weight away from your center of mass.
5. Don’t roll shoulder forward
Keeping your shoulders back and chest up is important when you lower the weight.
Benefits of an Ez Bar Upright Row
Here are the benefits of an Ez Bar upright row :
1. Muscle strength & growth
The pulling motion of the EZ bar upright row works a lot of upper body muscles. As a result, performing this exercise regularly is likely to accelerate your muscle growth and strength in your back, biceps, and shoulders.
2. Stability & conditioning
The upright row works all of the major areas of the shoulders, making it a great exercise for upper body stability. By doing frequent ez bar upright rows, you will improve your position and protect yourself.
3. Builds Traps
Traps are tricky to build. There are only a handful of exercises that mainly target your traps. A barbell upright row utilizes your traps just as much as it works your shoulders.
4. Arm power
The upright row is great for the biceps, which will make your arms stronger and improve your performance in other exercises and activities.
5. Improve your posture
When practiced with proper form, Ez bar upright exercises help build strength in your upper body stabilizer muscle groups, helping you stand up tall and keep your back straight.
An Ez Bar upright row can strengthen the posterior chain muscles, including the shoulders and upper back. With great attention to form, you’ll reap all the benefits.
Let us know, in the comment section below, your valuable suggestions!
Thanks for reading.
18 Best Exercises To Build Bigger Traps
Manish brings over 10 years of hands-on experience in weight lifting and fat loss to fitness coaching. He specializes in gym-based training and has a lot of knowledge about exercise, lifting technique, biomechanics, and more.
Through “Fit Life Regime,” he generously shares the insights he’s gained over a decade in the field. His goal is to equip others with the knowledge to start their own fitness journey.