If you’re looking for one of the best cable shoulder exercises to add to your workout plan, then the one arm cable front raise is a must-try exercise.
It’s an excellent way to target the front of your shoulder while also engaging your core for stability.
However, as with any new workout, it can be challenging to master the one arm cable front raise, especially if you are a beginner.
That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide on tips and techniques for the one arm cable front raise.
What is One Arm Front Raise
It is one of the most effective variations of the front raise that works the front deltoid muscles.
When doing a front raise with a cable machine, it gives your muscles almost uninterrupted time under tension, and a massive pump — each of which can help optimize muscle growth.
You can also change body positioning, weight load and attachments used, which can alter your grip thus targeting your muscles differently.
Know More: Best cable shoulder Workout for 3D Shoulders
Muscles Worked During One Arm Cable Front Raise
The one arm cable front raise primarily targets the anterior deltoid, but it also engages other muscles in your upper body, including:
Primary Muscle Worked: Anterior deltoid.
How To Do Single Arm Cable Front Raise
- Attach a single grip handle to a low pulley cable machine.
- Stand facing away from the machine and grip the handle with your right hand using an overhand grip (palm facing down).
- For balance, stagger your feet. The foot in front should be the one that is opposite to your working arm.
- Keeping your elbow very slightly flexed, exhale as you raise the stirrup (handle) forward and upward in a semicircular motion until your arm is above horizontal.
- Hold for a count of two. Inhale as you slowly reverse the motion and lower the stirrup to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise with your opposite arm.
Sets and Reps
It is usually performed for moderate to high reps, at least 8-12 reps per set, and do 3-4 sets as part of an upper-body or shoulder-focused workout.
Form and Tips
- This is an isolation exercise, so the focus should be on form and muscle contraction, not weight.
- Do not allow the handle to touch your body, and do not allow your body to move (or swing) throughout the movement.
- Keep your back straight and your head up. Keep your body still. Only your arm should move.
- The front raise is a good exercise to superset with a shoulder pressing exercise.
- Keep a controlled motion and avoid jerky movements
- Remember to exhale while you exert.
Benefits of the One Arm Cable Front Raise
The one arm cable front raise offers a variety of benefits, including:
1. Targeted Muscle Activation
The one arm cable front raise is an excellent exercise for targeting the front of your shoulder, also known as the anterior deltoid.
This muscle is important for everyday activities like reaching for objects or carrying groceries.
2. Increased Core Stability
Since you’re only working one arm at a time during the one arm cable front raise, your core has to work harder to maintain stability.
3. Improved Range of Motion
The cable machine allows for a greater range of motion than other front raise exercises, such as dumbbell front raises.
This increased range of motion can help you target your shoulder muscles more effectively and achieve greater results over time.
How to incorporate it into workout routine
The one arm cable front raise can be incorporated into your upper body workout routine in several ways.
1. Superset with other exercises
It can make your workouts more intense and make your muscles work harder.
2. Perform as a standalone exercise
Perform the one arm cable front raise as a standalone exercise to improve your form and technique, and target your shoulder muscles more effectively.
3. Combine with other cable exercises
It will help you achieve a full-body workout that targets multiple muscle groups at once.
Best alternative of one arm cable front raise
- Dumbbell Front Raise
- Barbell Front Raise
- Resistance Band Front Raise
- Arnold Press
- Cable Shoulder Press
- Cable Upright Row
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
The one arm cable front raise is an effective exercise that targets your front shoulders. With the right tips and techniques, you can do this exercise with good form and avoid common mistakes.
Manish brings over 10 years of hands-on experience in weight lifting and fat loss to fitness coaching. He specializes in gym-based training and has a lot of knowledge about exercise, lifting technique, biomechanics, and more.
Through “Fit Life Regime,” he generously shares the insights he’s gained over a decade in the field. His goal is to equip others with the knowledge to start their own fitness journey.